How to Setup your own Plex Cloud
Once upon a time, Plex provided "Plex Cloud", a partnership with Amazon which would let you run your Plex server "in the cloud", and attach various cloud storage providers for storing your vast media libraries.
The Plex Cloud service was shut down due to technical / cost issues, but given the popularity of online streaming platforms, a "cloud based" Plex instance is still an attractive solution for many users who don't want to bother with self-hosting their Plex server or their media.
ElfHosted provides all the hosting and options to setup your own hosted Plex instance (your Plex Cloud), and stream your media from cloud storage, creating your own "Plex Google Drive", "Plex Onedrive", etc.
- A VPN provider (since Plex blocked all of Hetzner in Oct 2023 due to abuse). Private Internet Access (referral link) often has deals for as low as $2/month.
- Existing cloud storage (Google Drive, or anything rclone-compatible), or a cheap Hetzner Storagebox.
- Optionally, a PlexPass account, which will let you take advantage of hardware transcoding if you're unable to DirectPlay your media.
Setup Plex Cloud
Create account, get $10 free credit
Add Plex with VPN
Your Plex Cloud URL will be
Attach cloud storage to Plex
- Add more ElfStorage at $0.20/TB/day (so $6/TB)
- Buy a storagebox from Hetzner (sized at 1TB, 5TB, 10TB, and 20TB)
- Mount your existing (rclone-compatible) cloud storage
Populate your Plex Cloud
If you're using ElfStorage or a Storagebox, import any media you'd like per the migration instructions.
If you're attaching existing cloud storage, setup your Plex libraries to point to the correct location in
Enjoy your own Plex Cloud!
That's it! Enjoy using your new Plex Cloud to stream your media to yourself and your friends and family, without the hassle of local hosting or storage management!
Why not just self-host Plex?
Reasons not to self-host Plex may include:
- You want to avoid the hardware / power costs involved
- You want more reliability / uptime for your Plex server, while your self-hosting / homelab is for tinkering
- You want media streaming to just work (we manage app updates, hardware, connectivity, security, etc.)
That's it, you're done. Hope into our friendly Discord server if you have questions or suggestions!